Saturday 29 November 2008

The Healing Power of Shopping

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that shopping, correctly executed, can lift a woman's mood beyond all reason. (I'm pretty sure that's what Jane Austen wrote.) It's a running joke with my girlfriends that shopping makes us feel better. We're all reasonably intelligent women, not especially shallow or materialistic, we know it shouldn't be that simple, but, like children bribed with a lollipop, we are ridiculously happy with a new pair of shoes or a pretty thing for the house.

So when I went shopping this week, it was a refreshed and happy Kitsch Elaine who returned with bags of booty. My first purchase is scarily pink and cute. I'm not entirely sure about this now I've got it home, but IT WAS IN A SALE!
I might take the crystals off and de-bling it!

Also not sure if I am brave enough to wear these shoes every day, but they are fab. And the lovely girls in Shrinking Violet helped me to try on every pair of shoes in their lovely shop, so I definitely recommend them!
They look a bit pink in this photo, but they are pillar-box red. If I'm not brave enough to go out in those, I also got some more 'grown-up' boots.






You're wondering who the cutie in the boots is? No, not me, it's a lovely designer vinyl doll called "Lil' Leona Leopard" by Lisa Petrucci. I love her paintings inspired by Kiddle dolls (not so keen on all her pin-up girls). This little cutie was also in a sale!










If you've read my previous blogs, you'll know I enjoy shopping in Indian and Chinese supermarkets in Bristol. Well in St Nicholas Market, there's a South African shop - Kalahari Moon. I enjoyed browsing, but only bought some sweets.




Christmas cards. Year after year, I feel guilty because I know I should make my own Christmas cards, but I never get around to it in time. And I know I should be promoting handmade cards, but look how cute these cards from Oxfam are! And they are for charity...


Last but not least, I'll also show you my charity shop haul.

I seem to be collecting kitsch china birds now. I do like them. No idea what the plastic tiles in the bag are, but I'm sure I can use them somehow....

Well, that's show and tell over for today!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Woops! I deleted the first same comment goodness knows how I managed to hit the bin button. Ok:

Love the china birds. I have go four to date and can't get them over here as easily (Germany). You had a spend there!
Take care
Jox

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

That is a good haul indeed!
Why is it I always find tat and others find real treasures in charity shops!?
I love your pussycat shoes.. my friend used to work in Shrinking Violet and I always felt so horribly conservative next to her in her wild and wonderful clothes..

Michele

hens teeth said...

Great finds, you did so well and boy does it lift the spirits.