Tuesday 7 April 2009

Things that go bump in the night

We've been hearing funny noises lately. Out in the dark. Just outside the window, on the rough collection of stones we laughingly call a patio. Shuffles, bumps, that sort of thing. Then one evening there was a loud crash and we found the bird table had been knocked over. When Mr Kitsch opened the door he could hear rustling in the bushes. "It must be a cat," we said, not wanting to worry ourselves. "Or a fox.." There are a lot of urban foxes in Bristol.

Every now and then in the evenings, we'd hear something, but never saw anything. Mr Kitsch started to refer to it as "The Beast".

Then last night, I was reading in bed, while Mr Kitsch watched TV. He suddenly rushed upstairs to tell me The Beast was in the garden. It was a badger! I ran downstairs and looked out to see it happily rooting about on the lawn. Apparently, when Mr Kitsch first saw him he was energetically digging up one of my pots outside the patio door. Cheeky so-and-so! He wasn't the least disturbed by us or the light from the house, and wandered off in his own time.

So, another visitor to the garden. I'm thinking he might be called Bill - I can't think why...

6 comments:

Sam said...

Thats so sweet !

Lovely Badger Billxx

(Lucky it wasn't jack frost from rupert the bear he used to really freak me out)

menopausalmusing said...

We have had the most mangey one shambling around on our drive . . . but we only saw it once, more's the pity. I quite like the fact that they are around.x

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Glad that you managed to discover the cause of these mysterious noises! I love badgers we are lucky enough to see them occassionally where we live.
Isabelle x

Teena Vallerine said...

Thank-you for your sweet comment. I like to think of you being excited in Borders - I haven't found a copy anywhere up here - I could have left it open at the right page and loitered in a celebrity kind of way waiting to be asked for autographs..... HAHAHAHAHAAHAH! But I'm glad it made you happy!
A badger?! You lucky things! No cow farms nearby I hope! t.x

Bumble Bee Cottage said...

I must be lovely to have wildlife visit your garden. We don't have badgers, or foxes for that matter, in Guernsey, although you do see the odd hedgehog. I hope your pot recovers from his attentions.

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Oh what a privilege... I would welcome Mr Brock in to our garden anytime...or Mr Tod..
I do occasionally here the owl in the trees next door but never get to see him..or her!

Hope you are having a very eggy Easter..

Love
Michele x