Tuesday 30 June 2009

Mad House


Does buying vintage make you do bonkers things? It does me. Did you happen to see a madwoman on Saturday, toiling through the streets of Bristol and over The Downs carrying an enormous doll's house? Yes, that was me. Well I'd been to a Summer Fayre at my old school, which was extremely disappointing, due to a complete lack of home-made cakes. The only thing I saw to buy was this great wall shelf with a doll's house front, which opens up. The woman on the stall was selling everything for 50p, but asked if I'd like to give more. I gave her a pound, and we were both happy.

It was then I realised I could hardly carry the damn thing. It wasn't the weight, but the bulkiness, and the doors in the way or swinging open. My trusty driver, Mr Kitsch was at the Glastonbury Festival for the wekend, so I'd walked to the fayre on my own. I tried ringing a friend who lived nearby, but he was out. 'Never mind,' I thought, 'I'll manage somehow.' I improvised a handle with my shopping bag, but it didn't honestly help, and in the end I had to lodge it on my hip, work my arm around it and trudge the one and half miles home. Mostly uphill. In the lunchtime sun. And it was HOT!

I had to stop and have a rest on The Downs, where I took the photo. By this time I was red-faced, sweaty and puffing!

But the thing that makes me completely bonkers is that I totally think it was worth it...

9 comments:

marble rose said...

Oh Of course it was worth it - it's lovely!!! However I would much rather had a photo of your lovely self at that point!


Fleur
xx

LiLi M. said...

and you are absolutely right; this is totally worth every inch you carried this in the heath! Now enjoy, yes we are envious even envious on carrying this beauty!

Teena Vallerine said...

HAHA! I didn't see that mad woman but if I had I would have admired her enormously! good find! t.x

Country Cottage Chic said...

Us vintagers aren't wimps - we'll do anything to get our treasures home!
It looks lovely - well worth the effort.

Jayne

menopausalmusing said...

I'd have looked across the downs and said to His Nibs: "I wonder if that's Elaine from Kitsch and Curious?" x

Elaine Prunty said...

who'd have thought it was a work-out aid as well ,
a multi-multi-functional truly lovely find.
It was definelty worth it.

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Oh definitely worth all the blood sweat and tears!
I am the proverbial mad woman of Bath.. often seen juggling items home from the boot sale!

Michele xx

BusyLizzie said...

that looks great. bonkers? yes... you could have done with a shopping trolley/set of wheels - saying that, I never take mine anywhere that I might need 'em!
Lizzie x

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

What a bargain for such a beautiful house. Well worth the trip and hastle of carrying it.
Isabelle x